It’s time to get my ass in gear. In the past two years I’ve done a mere two races; croom zoom 100, a dnf, and then a year later the Croom Zoom 50k (pretty much untrained) as the only course revenge that I could muster. Ridiculous given how much I used to race. So it was time to put a few things on the calendar and stop wallowing. Here’s what’s committed to so far:
- Feb. 17: Doggies for Duchenne 5k — I’m not a big 5k runner but our company is sponsoring this race so I get free entry. Best part … I get to run with my dog! If you’re local to the Sarasota Florida area you should totally come run this race!
- March 4: Skyway Bridge 10k — I’m also not a big 10k runner but this is potentially a once in lifetime opportunity. The Skyway Bridge has never been open to foot traffic. At least not legally. I may or may not have a running friend who managed to make it all the way across before being “escorted” back to the other side.
- April 7: Draggin’ Tail 50k — I am super excited about this race. I love the trails at Torreya. A handful of us do an annual fall camping/running/drinking trip up there and I’ve always wanted to go back up for the race but have always had an I’m-too-busy excuse. Not anymore. And yes, there will be camping and drinking this trip too!
- April 14: Corbett 50k — yup back-to-back weekend 50ks on the books. Corbett has the best race waiver ever. It’s not the only thing that led me to register for it but reading it was added bonus for sure …
By registering for the 2018 J.W. Corbett Trail Race Anno Domini, you agree to grant us a non transferrable option to claim, for now and ever more, your immortal soul. Should we wish to exercise this option, you agree to surrender your immortal soul, and any claim you may have on it within 5 working days of receiving written notice from J. W. Corbett RD or one of its dully authorized minions. We reserve the right to serve such notice in six foot high letters of fire, however we can accept no liability for any loss or damage caused by such an act. If you a) do not believe you have an immortal soul, b) have already given it to another party or c) do not wish to grant us such a license, submit a notarized letter to the RD to nullify this sub-clause and proceed with your transaction.
On the radar but not yet committed to:
- May 12/June 9/ July 21/Aug. 18: 8 Hours of Hell Series — There are September and October dates as well but with any luck Florida won’t be home past August.
- Dec. 8: Sawmill 50k — Hopefully this will be super close to home by then 🙂
I’m hoping there will be a few others especially later in the year. And I’m really not sure about the summer series. I hate hate hate the heat but since this will be my last Florida summer I’m thinking I’ll suck it up and sweat.